martes, 2 de mayo de 2017

B2 Grammar: Linking words and phrases

Linking words and phrases: when, if, in case, even if and even though

Use when to talk about:
  • a situation: I feel very uncomfortable when the weather is so hot.
  • something you know will happen at some point in time: I’m writing an essay at the moment. When I finish, I’ll phone you back.
Use if to describe:
  • something you are not sure will happen: We’ll miss the beginning of the film if the bus is late.
Compare:
  • If I get a place at university, my parents will buy me a new car (I’m not sure if I’ll get a place at university).
  • when I get a place at university, my parents will buy me a new car (I’m confident I’ll get a place at university).
Use in case:
  • with de present tense to talk about something which might happen in the future: I’ll take a book to read in case I have to wait a long time for the train. Take a bottle of water with you in case you get thirsty.
  • with the past simple to explain why someone did something: Clara turned off her mobile phone in case it rang during the exam (she thought it might ring during the exam, so she turned it off).
In case and if are different. Compare:
  • I’ll take my swimming costume in case we go t o the beach (I’ll take it now because we might go to the beach later).
  • I’ll take my swimming costume if we go to the beach (I won’t take my swimming costume now, because I don’t know if we will go to t he beach – we might not go to the beach).
Use even though as a stronger way of saying although when we are certain about something:
  • He bought a new computer even though his old one was working perfectly (the speaker is certain the old one was working perfectly).
  • I’m really looking forward to my holiday even though the weather forecast is for rain (the speaker knows the weather forecast is for rain).
Use even if as a stronger way of saying if, when you are not certain about something:
  • I’m going to have a holiday in the USA this summer even if I fail all my exams (I’m not sure if I’m going to fail my exams – but I’m going to have the holiday anyway).
  • I’ll come to your party even if I have to walk there (I don’t know if I’ll have to walk there, but I’ll make sure I come to your party).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario