domingo, 21 de febrero de 2016

Phrasal verbs: transformation

Complete the second sentence using the particles in brackets so that it has the same meaning as the first. Here's a clue to help you: all the verbs in exercise one begin with t and all the verbs in exercise 2 begin with w:

Exercise 1

1.- If something new happens, I'll let you know (up).
1.- If something new __________, I'll let you know

2.- He finally surrendered to the local police (over).
2.- He finally __________ himself _________ to the local police.


3.- The policeman made him empty his pockets (out).
3.- The policeman made him __________ his pockets.

4.- He was trying to get rid of his pursuers (off).
4.- He was trying to __________ his pursuers.

5.- Mr. Perkins will relieve me (over).
5.- Mr. Perkins will ____________ from me.

6.- Can I test the car first? (out).
6.- Can I ______________ the car first?.

7.- He understood the situation at a glance (in).
7.- He _________ the situation at a glance.

8.- We must dissuade her from marrying him (out).
8.- We must _________ her _________ marrying him.

Exercise 2

1.- I've devised an easier plan (out).
1.- I've _____________ an easier plan.

2.- One of those bombs would annihilate our village in a split second (out)
2.- One of those bombs would _________ our village in a split second.

3.- I'm longing to get home and relax (down).
3.- I'm longing to get home to _________.

4.- Playing with my little grandchildren exhausts me (out).
4.- Playing with my little grandchildren _________ me _______.

5.- It's your turn to wash the dishes tonight (up).
5.- It's your turn to ___________ tonight.

6.- Kevin has left his wife and their two children (out).
6.- Kevin has ____________ his wife and their two children.

7.- The effects of the anaesthetic are beginning to disappear (off).
7.- The effects of the anaesthetic are beginning to ________.

8.- The coal miners are threatening to go on strike again next Friday (out).
8.- The coal miners are threatening to _________ again next Friday

KEY

Exercise 1: 1.- turns up; 2.- turned....over; 3.- turn out; 4.- throw off; 5.- take over; 6.- try out; 7.- took in; 8.- talk _____ out.

Exercise 2: 1.- worked out; 2.- wipe out; 3.- wind down; 4.- wears ____ out; 5.- wash up

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario