martes, 12 de noviembre de 2013

Grammar Unit Past simple

Past simple: be
  • We use it to talk about actions and events in the past.
  • Past simple of be is was/wasn´t or were/ weren´t
          Ex: I was in town yesterday
                We were at a friend´s house last nite
                My sister wasn´t with me.
                We watched some videos but they weren´t very good.
  • Questions: we put the verb before the subject:
          Ex: Were you in the park yesterday? No, I wasn´t
                Was James with you? Yes, he was

Past Simple: Regular Verbs
  • Regular verbs have an –ed ending. The form is the same for all subjects (I,you,he,she,it, we,you, they)
          Ex: I walked to the park
               Carla opened the window
  • If a verb ends in –e, we only add –d.
          Like – liked
          Hate – hated
  • If a verb ends with consonant + y, we change the y to i and add –ed.
          Study – studied
          Try – tried
          Marry – married
  • If a short verb ends in 1 vowel + 1 consonant, we double the final consonant before adding –ed.
          Stop – stopped
          Travel – travelled
  • Negative: we use didn´t + base form of the verb. The form is the same for all subjects.
          I didn´t like the film last night
          He didn´t study very hard.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario